I chose to cancel rocket testing this weekend and work on my GPS project.
I got the Rakon GMM8652 based front end working.
So now that I have a fully working front end the real work starts.
I'm currently routing the raw data into an FPGA , but instead of doing the processing there I'm just using that as a path to record the data. Recording raw data records (4M bytes/sec) and post processing with the FASTGPS open source software GPS program on a PC.
Next Step do the corelator processing in the FPGA. I have that verilog code written, but its mostly untested at this point.
Rough order of events:
- Prove the RF and FPGA hardware works. (done)
- Get one correlation channel tracking one sat.
- Get 6 or more channels tracking sats.
- Calculate position, velocity, time (PVT) based on this tracking data.
- Add data delay buffer and feedback from IMU data to aid loop tracking.
- Fly the thing.
and fly that so we have a good raw data set to use for testing and simulation.