I had a great time at space access. It was strange to be showing a space access regular the plastic model of the 75lb motor I'm having 3D printed in stainless and the CTO of Lockheed interrupts and asks for my business card. The motors is a 50 to 75 pound regen peroxide hydrocarbon biprop. I've ordered one from the 3D printer and I'll show pictures when I get it. This drawing shows 4 of these tucked into a 6" airframe:
For those of you that follow the blog that was actually the only 100% new picture in my entire presentation. I also talked about restarting my composite tank work that I started in 2006 at the very begining of the blog. (Go back and reread the first few months)
The Technical plan going forward is in several steps. Working on a smaller scale I can do 100% of this plan within my current budget.
1)Build a 4 engine gimbaled monoprop that uses irrigation tubing and HPR style recovery. I expect this to take two months to get ready for first flight attempt, this puts it in the middle of summer so first flight might be delayed until september as FAR in summer is miserable.
1a)In parallel test the bi prop motor I'm having printed.
1b)In parallel develop composite polyethylene lined tanks.
1c)Build some small canards for the 6" airframe and see if we can make it glide with tanks empty.
In no particular order do the following:
Trade out the mono prop motors for the bi-prop. (I'll Probably crash the mono-prop so its probably a series of mono-prop then bi-prop.)
Substitute the composite tanks for Irrigation tubing tanks.(or alternatively put one of Steves Flometrics pistonless pumps in instead of the composite airframe.)
Fly the whole assembly to 100K ft
Fly the vehicle to 100K ft twice in one day.
Seems like a simple list its probably two years work.
The first unpleasant step is to clean up my Garage so I can actually work on anything.