Friday, December 07, 2007

Gingerbread cookies and GPS

I've been experimenting with a Crescent Vector GPS from Hemisphere GPS. It uses two antennas 1/2 meter apart to gove heading as well as GPS position at 10Hz. The only problem is that the helicopter test bed (and the rocket) is an electrically noisy place. So I built an adapter module that has an isolated DC-DC converter, a logic isolator and RS-232 level converters on a small PCB. I then needed to mount the whole thing in some kind of shielded enclosure. I've been reading the "Jack Crossfire blog" about the trials and tribulations of making a autonomous UAV helicopter. He used an altoids tin to shield his GPS, I'm using a gingerbread cookie tin. (Altoids was too small for the vector).

The back side....
With the top on....


And finally a picture of the carbon fiber frame that mounts to the helicopter and holds the two GPS antennas.

I should be ready to fly this contraption tonight, but Southern California are in the midst of a big rain storm and thats not conducive to flying the helicopter.

6 comments:

Carl Tedesco said...

That's a jolly, merry rocket part! I love it!

For aeroshell material of your rocket you could use x-mas wrapping paper.

Don't forget a bow!

--- Carl T.

ザイツェヴ said...

I always used pieces of PCB to make makeshift enclosures simply by soldering them together.

Paul Breed said...

I've done soldered PCB enclosures as well, the little tin is significantly lighter, and one can easily open it and reclose to adjust things.....

The only downside is that it looks silly....

Unknown said...

Who gives a damn, if it looks silly?

Charles Pooley said...

Use of cookie tin very resourceful. I do suggest some kind of RF gasket for the lid. Maybe Solder Wick?

Nothing wrong with leaving logo on the tin, in my opinion.

Donald A. Hauser said...

Bought this for my great nephew and he loves it.